[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:25:07 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> I have had a quick look around Melbourne's motorway entrances on
> streetview and all I have looked at have a sign like this
> http://goo.gl/maps/0hC6c.
>
> Please can you point out one that does allow cyclists?

Western Freeway:
http://goo.gl/maps/XUWBF

Hume Freeway:
http://goo.gl/maps/Ze3qc

I imagine that all the inter-city freeways allow it - just not within
the perimeter of Melbourne itself maybe.

> You say Melbourne, I assume you mean Victoria? Allowing cities to have a
> separate highway code would be scarey. I expect to learn different rules
> when I drive in France, but not if I cross the border into Wales or
> Scotland.

Err, that's what the signs are for... :)

FWIW, there are slightly different rules in different states, like
learners are limited to 80kph in NSW. Pretty sure the US is similar
that way (I seem to recall that rules like "right turn on red" vary by
state there).

Steve