[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 15:16:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 23:25 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>> > I have had a quick look around Melbourne's motorway entrances on
>> > streetview and all I have looked at have a sign like this
>> > http://goo.gl/maps/0hC6c.
>> >
>> > Please can you point out one that does allow cyclists?
>>
>> Western Freeway:
>> http://goo.gl/maps/XUWBF
>>
>> Hume Freeway:
>> http://goo.gl/maps/Ze3qc
>>
> On first glance I am not sure I would consider those motorways, they
> look more like expressways to me. There are similar signs on Grade
> Separated trunk roads in the UK.

Any attempt at understanding the tag names in OSM only leads to
madness (I repeat this to myself all the time).

People love simple names instead of complex schemes. But remember the
name you choose for a thing in your country means nothing in OSM,
because some non-native speaker might already have defined that name
to be something different.

I can just +1 what Steve Bennet says:
> IMHO, the approach "the wiki says that in country X, Y is the default,
> therefore I don't need to tag it" is excessively optimistic.

/Erik Johansson