[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Feb 9 15:49:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 14:35 +0000, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 09/02/2013 12:54, Philip Barnes wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 23:25 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> >>
> >> Err, that's what the signs are for... :)
> > There are plenty of places where it is possible to cross between England
> > and Wales where there are no signs. I am less familiar with the Scottish
> > border, but other than it being a physical border (mountains) I imagine
> > it is similar.
> >
> > But within Great Britain the rules are the same. I deliberately avoided
> > United Kingdom. I know Northern Ireland has slightly different rules
> > such as lower speed limits for recently qualified drivers.
>
> Powers to set speed limits have now been devolved, so the Scottish
> government could change the speed limit if they wanted. So far it looks
> like there's no plans to do so.
>
> If there is any change, I'm sure it will be clearly signposted, both at
> the border and within Scotland.
Hopefully there will then be signs on all border crossings, again not
sure if there are any unmarked ones. There certainly are lots between
England and Wales, it is easy to not know which country you are in
(until you come across an Araf, or a Slow without Araf that is).

This is the Shrewsbury-Montgomery road, the border is the change in
quality of the tarmac and the painted surveyors mark. No signs to be
seen and quite easy to cross at 60mph.
http://goo.gl/maps/PSWtT

But this type of law differences are easy to deal with, differences laws
in Manchester, Birmingham and Shrewsbury are less easy to keep track of.

> Also a few other things devolved, eg the drink-driving limit. It looks
> like that will be reduced in Scotland soon.
I think the news the other week from Ireland shows it should be left as
it is.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21143199

Phil