[Tagging] Power transmission refinement proposal

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 11 22:21:01 UTC 2013

On 11/02/2013 19:53, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> 2013/2/11 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>>
>

>     According to the proposal we would then need to know the exact voltage
>     in order to distinguish between the various sizes of substations
>

> We could make a little tool that suggests voltages by the powerlines
> that end up near a substation. That would solve a majority of big
> substations.

Well, that seems like overkill to me. A manual inspection of the lines
terminating at the substation should be sufficient (assuming their
voltages have been tagged).

I have noticed that you can quite easy detect the voltages handled in
the substation by measuring the distances between busbars (Bing imagery
is mostly sufficient detailed to allow this). It requires that you know
the standard voltages used in the given area but is otherwise a pretty
reliable way of distinguishing voltages. I'm thinking about writing a
wiki page explaining how to detect voltages and other features of power
grids from aerial imagery.

Ole / polderrunner