[Tagging] Power transmission refinement proposal

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 01:24:31 UTC 2013

2013/2/11 Ole Nielsen <on-osm at xs4all.nl>

> Well, that seems like overkill to me. A manual inspection of the lines
> terminating at the substation should be sufficient (assuming their voltages
> have been tagged).

I made a little Overpass query which finds stations that have power lines
with certain voltages 30 meters or less from a station, and the station
doesn't have that voltage in it's voltage=* tag. Mistakes can happen,
because I still don't know how to find an end of a line in overpass, so
each station near a middle of a line will show up.

Also, I made power=station tags show up, which need retagging.

Here is the link, I hope it has no mistakes (click Run when you find an
interesting position):
http://tinyurl.com/aeznguc

> I have noticed that you can quite easy detect the voltages handled in the
> substation by measuring the distances between busbars (Bing imagery is
> mostly sufficient detailed to allow this). It requires that you know the
> standard voltages used in the given area but is otherwise a pretty reliable
> way of distinguishing voltages. I'm thinking about writing a wiki page
> explaining how to detect voltages and other features of power grids from
> aerial imagery.

That's great, unfortunately only for places with hires imagery.

Janko Mihelić