[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Extended tags for Key:Surveillance

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:53:42 UTC 2013

2013/2/14 Frank Villaro-Dixon <frank at villaro-dixon.eu>:
> it's been some years now that this proposed feature has been in the draft
> section.
> I think it's now the time to RFC on this feature, what do you think ?
>
> The future goal is to starting to import/add correctly the CCTV public
> cameras in OSM.
>
> Let me know if you have things to say ;)
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_tags_for_Key:Surveillance

Nice, finally the open burglary map comes closer ;-)
I have 2 remarks:

1. regarding guard there might be some overlap with this tag:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:barrier:personnel

2. Isn't there one parameter missing to deduct the actual area covered
by a camera? I'd think you needed 3 values: direction the camera
points to (in 3d, e.g. azimuth and  altitude) plus the field of view
or focal length. This is of course purely theoretical because the
cameras might be able to move and most mappers won't probably be able
to add high precision orientation data (usually you will have to
estimate these values).

cheers,
Martin