[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Extended tags for Key:Surveillance

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Thu Feb 14 16:57:52 UTC 2013

> 2013/2/14 Frank Villaro-Dixon <frank at villaro-dixon.eu>:
>> it's been some years now that this proposed feature has been in the draft
>> section.
>> I think it's now the time to RFC on this feature, what do you think ?
>>
>> The future goal is to starting to import/add correctly the CCTV public
>> cameras in OSM.
>>
>> Let me know if you have things to say ;)
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_tags_for_Key:Surveillance
>

> Nice, finally the open burglary map comes closer ;-)
Nah, it shouldn’t be seen that way ;)
> I have 2 remarks:
>
> 1. regarding guard there might be some overlap with this tag:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:barrier:personnel
Well, the two are a bit different, I think:
-Barrier would be for "entrances" (UN, consulates, etc..)
whereas
-Guard would be more for surveillance things: power plants, etc..

Of course, normally, every building that would have a Guard, would also
have a Barrier:personnel

What do you think ?

> 2. Isn't there one parameter missing to deduct the actual area covered
> by a camera? I'd think you needed 3 values: direction the camera
> points to (in 3d, e.g. azimuth and  altitude) plus the field of view
> or focal length. This is of course purely theoretical because the
> cameras might be able to move and most mappers won't probably be able
> to add high precision orientation data (usually you will have to
> estimate these values).
Yep, haven't thought of that.
Usually, site who represent these cameras
(eg: http://www.sous-surveillance.net/)
have and approximate view of the camera based only on the orientation of
the camera.

focal length (camera:focal ?) isn't a bad idea, but I think that the
most important tag is camera:direction.

--
Frank Villaro-Dixon - PGP: 6F36914A
http://frank.villaro-dixon.eu