[Tagging] As the crow flies

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 17:04:53 UTC 2013

Hello world,

It can happen for a hiking route, maybe others, to go across a non-way.
One may for example get people across some land without a path or
officially start and end a hike in the middle of a parking lot.
What must we do:

  * create a pseudo way and what are the tags?
  * more likely, leave a gap in the route relation, filled with some
    element saying "fly to connect"?

The crow may be supposed to fly loosely following the roads too if
router software is unable to make a correct route or simply if the user
insists on being a crow.  This is not a mapping issue, but the solution
can be the same if the router builds the same relation as ours as the
output of its result.
I suggested several sites to add a flying bird to car, bike and man to
be chosen independently per segment.

This (unable), in addition to map bugs, is the case when using say the
Google router with an OSM map display.  e.g. openrunner.com
<http://www.openrunner.com/>'s doc says to use Cloudmade router but soft
only provides Google's on OSM.
(You'd do something nice reporting this bug).
I only found the following in close relation with this.
In two parts (yes, sometimes the gnus have to fly too ;-))
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-November/055088.html
<http://www.openrunner.com/>
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-December/055121.html

Cheers,