[Tagging] source:maxspeed vs. maxspeed:type

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:40:14 UTC 2013

2013/2/23 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:

> You can achieve exactly the same with maxspeed:type. And usually we
> use the key source for how we collect the data, but not the key
> source:maxspeed . In my opinion maxpeed:type is also a much more
> intuitive key than source:maxspeed.

I feel that you are some years too late with this observation. Why not
use maxspeed:source for the source and keep source:maxspeed for what
it is used? There is really no point in arbitrarily changing tag
meanings. At first glimpse maxspeed:type seems to need some
unification effort (if uk mappers prefer to have another system than
an "established" one), there are still quite a lot of variants:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/maxspeed%3Atype#values

> As in the UK examples in the wiki we (potentially) would get an
> additional piece of information and would be more consistent.
> maxspeed=50  -> what is the speed limit?
> maxspeed:type=AT:urban -> what kind of speed limit is is?
> source:maxspeed=survey  -> how was the information regarding the speed
> limit collected?

yes, you could do it this way, but if you used maxspeed:source instead
for how the information was collected you would not have to change the
quarter million "source:maxspeed"-tags.

cheers,
Martin