[Tagging] source:maxspeed vs. maxspeed:type

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:10:12 UTC 2013

2013/2/23 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
> I did not suggest to change the meaning. I was asking a question based
> on what I found in the wiki. The key maxspeed:source seems to be used
> the same as source:maxspeed according to taginfo.

yes, it seems that maxspeed:source was used by some users for the same
purpose as source:maxspeed (also encouraged by an import/mass-tagging
in Australia, which rose the usage numbers in short time above the
200.000 but later disappeared with the license change). I really
didn't care at all (initially) whether we used source:maxspeed or
maxspeed:source (or yet another tag), but there was discussion about
this years ago on the tagging list and back then we agreed on
source:maxspeed with values like "sign", "IT:motorway", etc. and since
then used this tag. I don't want to change it now if there are not
very good reasons.

Please also note that tagging sources (and other metadata) to objects
is a generally disputed mapping style.

cheers,
Martin