[Tagging] As the crow flies

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:53:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-23 12:56, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote :
> maybe add the key "informal"=yes to the path? I do this for
> "spontaneous" ways and it is also documented in the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal
And the other suggestions, many thanks, sorry for not listing them all.
I'm looking for a general feature, not only a solution to my particular
problem.

A non-way is not the best word to describe my idea and I also do not
feel comfortable with it.
It's sort of a "secret [winding] little passage" that one must follow on
demand.
So, more than "informal=yes" (which I don't understand well), it would
be a straight "exists=no".
How could it be mapped, sort of dotted line, so that the human
understands that he may follow a route for which there's no path under
the conditions otherwise described (no cars in a meadow)?
But how could the automated router know if it must or not follow that
secret passage?
Mind boggling, it needs more information.
And these thoughts led to the following reasoning...

In making a route (the relation), we are actually not mapping something
(creating new map objects). We are relating existing objects of the map
to be highlighted to show, well, a route to follow (other relations
similar).
And it may, for many various reasons of which you found more, happen to
be NO objects in the map to highlight and follow.  So, this problem is
just, within the queue, aka file, of  members making up the route, to
indicate somehow: this gap is not a mistake ("page intentionally left
blank", JOSM don't complain): it means that you just must manage to go
from here to there the best way you see fit, para-gliders included (1).
The first idea was to fill the gap with a dummy, but the second thought
is that we simply could use the end nodes of the two ways the gap is
striding to do so.
One node, repeated next to the way it belongs to, would have role
/*gap_start*/, the other one /*gap_end*/.
Or /*jum*//*p_start*/, /*jump_end*/ (1).
No dummies needed.

Human routers (mapping a hike) just assemble these special instructions
among the members.
Automated routers are driven by a human who simply breaks the route in
segments (making "via" points), one of which uses no car, bike or
pilgrim type but that funny little flying bird as the segment routing
type. By definition of the crow segment, the router makes it of only two
gap-start and gap-end nodes (it may use more nodes and, magically, we
reinvent the GPS trace (we might use /*track_point*/ instead of gap_*,
but that would lessen the possibility to detect routes broken by less
capable editors).

I think it's a rather simple, best value for money, addition to the OSM
tags I let you discuss.

To end my practical story, not only do the hike instructions loosely say
that the hike starts and ends in the parking place (which is obviously
the car segment of the hike!) but the bird segment starts wandering
north in a drunkard fashion where there is no path, even breaking its
way through the limit of an alleged cemetery.
I simply started on the road alongside the parking and cheated my way
trough a small street detour.
They call that a walworkaround ;-)

Cheers,

André.

(1) Yet another real case of possible exists=no routes coming to my mind
errr... BTW.
Ski routes too.  Endless.