[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:12:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tag "operator:wikidata=Q38076" much better than "operator=McDonalds" ?!
>
> Are you all so disconnected from real contributors ?

In addition to, not instead of. operator:wikidata=* is computable.

Martin wrote:
>What is the relation between wikidata and wikipedia? Couldn't one get
>the wikidata-reference code by looking up the wikipedia article name?
>In this case it would be an unnecessary duplication of information to
>also have a wikidata tag.

Wikidata is a source of structured information that will be used by
Wikipedia etc, instead of just storing that information as
unstructured text.

If anything, the duplication would be to continue to have a Wikipedia
tag. Wikipedia article names change, but presumably the Wikidata
identifiers are stable, so you can always look up the current
Wikipedia article name from it.

But, really you can have both. Stable, widely used identifiers are
great things to store, so if Wikidata will fill that role, we should
link to it.

Steve