[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:31:56 UTC 2013

2013/2/27 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> Tag "operator:wikidata=Q38076" much better than "operator=McDonalds" ?!

Besides that McD is not the operator, this would be an additional way
to eliminate ambiguity in some cases, of course you could still be
mapping "operator=*" and it will be sufficient in many cases. It is
also not given that the mapper would have to read or write "Q38076",
the editor could lookup the full name from the db and present this to
the mapper in the editor.

In the context of identifying operators I'd also like to mention the
tag "ref:vatin=countrycode:vat_identification_number" to tag the tax
number of a business.

Anyway, currently it seems as if there is almost no other information
in the wikidata tables than the article reference to wikipedia, so it
doesn't look like an improvement compared to the tag wikipedia. You
could also use operator:wikipedia=McDonald's for operator information,
I agree (wouldn't that qualify as an URI as well?).

cheers,
Martin