[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:16:03 UTC 2013

2013/2/27 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> Still, why wikidata if
> you can use wikipedia?

Imagine a data consumer that wants to list all McDonalds in the World. If
he would try to go by wikipedia tag, he should search for de:McDonald's,
en:McDonalds, hak:Ma̍k-tông-lò Kûng-sṳ̂, hy:ՄաքԴոնալդս, ko:맥도날드 and who
knows what else. He should also search for whole links, like
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s, because they are still allowed
(Wikipedia map searches for them also). That is just not data friendly.

I agree it's possible, but the data consumer should go to wikidata, get all
possible wikipedia links for a given article, and search for each of them
in our database. I think that is more complicated then it should be.

Janko