[Tagging] Proposition for a classification of path

Balaitous balaitous at mailoo.org
Wed Feb 27 23:36:26 UTC 2013

Le mardi 26 février 2013 à 15:19 -0500, Richard Welty a écrit :
> i think it has the potential to be confusing, in part because tracktype
> already exists
> for highway=track, and tracktype is entirely about actual physical
> characteristics.
>
> i suspect it is a mistake to try to aggregate logical information about
> a path's
> significance (or the significance of its endpoints) with information
> about its
> physical characteristics.

I don't think. Aggregating logical and physical information create a new
kind of information. When you take a map (typically 1/25000 map) you
need to have a summarised information combining a lot of criteria.
It is one of the major issue of building generals maps

It's already the case in OSM. Choosing between highway=primary and
highway=secondary in a mixture between 3 informations :
* utility
* quality
* administrative

For example, in the wiki for highway=primary :
"U.S. Highways are MOSTLY primary."
"Some State Roads or State Routes MAY also be primary, if they have a
significant role in linking two MAJOR CITIES."

If you think pathtype=grade1-5 is a bad name, it's not the most
important, and I am not opposed to change it.

Balaitous