[Tagging] Source tag - deprecated for use on objects?

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Mon Jan 7 19:17:14 GMT 2013

Hi Dudley -

Welcome to OSM! I think you've done great work & done everything you're
supposed to do.  Then again, I'm pretty much a newcomer, too.

One warning: the whole topic of the wiki / tagging / etc. is a little more
chaotic than you might expect as a newcomer.

For whatever reason, some people believe the wiki is out of date, or not
relevant. I and many others believe this is a silly perspective & that the
wiki is correct and up to date until it is changed.

Stay tuned, hang in there, and keep mapping!

Thanks, Jeff

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibbett at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  As a relatively new mapper I am rather confused about this discussion
> about source.  To quote the wiki for the tag, source:
>
> "The *source* tag is a meta-tag, used for categorising the source of
> information added to the database. It is not usually used for rendering,
> but it assists with the verification<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability>of data, and informs future editors about the origins of the data they are
> modifying."
>
> In term of the changeset this is what you find for the change set under "*proposed
> features*/changeset"
>
> "This tag is to be used the same way as source<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>
> =* on objects and may be a future replacement to object level source
> tagging, when using it, it is highly recommended that your edit should only
> contain data from that source."
>
> The former is quite well documented and readily seen by newbies under the
> properties window in JOSM.  I've no idea how to find the latter within JOSM
> for a particular object.
>
> I can be a pain to add source tags to each object but I just hacked the
> presets and added a drop down box for these.  I though it was good mapping
> practice as per the wiki.
>
> I would be tempted to just to tag the changeset but I would have to change
> the way I edit and use many more changesets during a typical session.
> Perhaps I should and this is why my stats are so bad in this respect!!!
>
> If putting source on the changeset is to be the way forward then it should
> be better documented for Newbies and also the changeset tag needs to be
> readily viewable for an object in editors.  i.e. there when you select it
> in the editor.  If it already is and I'm missing this, it would be good to
> know how you can view this information as I tend to be more likely to
> change an object where there is no object source tag.
>
> Dudley

Jeff Meyer
Global World History Atlas
www.gwhat.org