[Tagging] cycleway Tagging and Wiki-Page

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 15:19:15 GMT 2013

I think shared_lane is used when the bikes are sharing the lane with cars,
perhaps with a cycle logo in the centre of the lane. Sharrows are when
there are cycle logos to one side, but no lane marking (not very common in
the UK; I've seen them in Brussels alongside parked cars, and they're more
often referred to in the US).

The main distinction in the UK is between solid white line ("mandatory"),
which means it's exclusive to bikes (cars "must" not enter), and a dashed
white line ("advisory") where cars should try not to enter. There is no
obligation on the cyclist to use or stay in those lanes, and drivers should
be prepared for a cyclist pulling out to overtake a slower cyclist (though
whether that is culturally accepted in practice varies by location).

For clarity, I'd probably go for cycleway:designation=Radfahrstreifen or
cycleway:designation=Schutzstreifen, so someone who knows the rules is
absolutely clear what you mean. You can try adding appropriate access tags
for the cycleway and maybe the roadway as a whole
(bicycle=no|discouraged+cycleway:bicycle=yes|designated), but the odds of
this being done clearly and widely enough to be useful are dubious. As you
say the bicycle=no might lead to some unintended effects, so maybe it would
be better as roadway:bicycle=no|discouraged.

Richard