[Tagging] Powerlines underground

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Jan 15 14:31:13 GMT 2013

Of course I agree with you, Volker.

But "aerial line" refers to all the conductors transmitting different
lives/phases whereas underground power cable, at high voltage, refers to
only one phase/conductor.
http://www.nexans.no/eservice/Norway-no_NO/fileLibrary/Download_540199654/Norway/files/Underground_power_cables.pdf

*So, many underground cables are needed to set up a line!*

You may have multi-conductors cables up to 150 kV but you still have
several conductors.

Insulation is mandatory underground because we can't put enough space
between conductors, instead of what is done in the air.

The right question is "*do we map cables separately or lines*"? It's all
about the vocabulary we use.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CnkQkGiPmbs/UFM6M2N0lUI/AAAAAAAAArk/IMZxA3i6SmY/s1600/tunnel.png

If we map cables we must do the same for both aerial and underground lines
and I'm not sure it would be really efficient.

2013/1/15 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>

> In English, overground power transmission is done by overground power *lines
> *(strands of metal without insulation, using the air as insulator),
> underground power transmission is done by means of underground power *
> cables* (strands of metal with insulation)
> (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission,
> #Underground transmission)
>
> For that reason I would consider power=line + location=underground at
> least confusing, if not contradictory. power=cable + location=underground
> is definitely to be preferred.
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker SCHMIDT