[Tagging] Powerlines underground

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Jan 15 15:43:04 GMT 2013

This may help
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/164648452.

Power lines in this case pass through an old railway tunnel.

Phil (trigpoint)

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 15/01/2013 14:31 François Lacombe wrote:

Of course I agree with you, Volker.

But "aerial line" refers to all the conductors transmitting different lives/phases whereas underground power cable, at high voltage, refers to only one phase/conductor.
http://www.nexans.no/eservice/Norway-no_NO/fileLibrary/Download_540199654/Norway/files/Underground_power_cables.pdf

So, many underground cables are needed to set up a line!

You may have multi-conductors cables up to 150 kV but you still have several conductors.

Insulation is mandatory underground because we can't put enough space between conductors, instead of what is done in the air.

The right question is "do we map cables separately or lines"? It's all about the vocabulary we use.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CnkQkGiPmbs/UFM6M2N0lUI/AAAAAAAAArk/IMZxA3i6SmY/s1600/tunnel.png

If we map cables we must do the same for both aerial and underground lines and I'm not sure it would be really efficient.