[Tagging] Kids use a sled downhill

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:09:52 GMT 2013

On 2013-01-20 11:01, Erik Johansson wrote :
> I've spent every winter since ~2008 wondering what you call a Pulka
> hill in english, so basically a hill that kids use to go fast with a
> sled. People have been using:
> piste:type=sled
>
> So a pulka is something like this:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rodeln_01.jpg
>
> And a Pulka hill is something like this (and that's a big one)
> http://www.bagisbloggen.se/2010/01/27/bagarmossens-basta-pulkabackar-del-2-laxabacken/
>

> I've used leisure=pulkabacke, swedish for sled hill,  which I think is
> better than piste:type=sled, but it's not very international.
We usually call them /*piste de luge*/ in French ->
/*toboggan/sled/sledge track*/?
luge = long traîneau.
Loosely related are /*montagnes russes*/ (Russian mountains) = roller
coaster, because of sled tracks around Saint Petersburg. That name
amused a kid, because, she told me, they're called *американские горки*
*"American Mountains"* in her language.
When I myself was a kid, we used to make trains of some 20 such luges
(holding the one in front by the hands and behind by the feet), and to
go sur la route de Jevoumont, down the roads like this track (2.10 km!!)
<http://www.papou.byethost9.com/maps/OpenLayers_Vector_fast.html?zoom=15&lat=50.52808&lon=5.81304&layers=BFFFFFFFFFFTFT>,
crossing the N62 as you can see!!! There were very few cars at that time
and there was a guy on watch at the crossing, but nothing inside town,
down from there!!! You can imagine the speed if you know that the last
300 m are level and were finished on ran-up speed. A healed wound mark
in the hair recalls me those crazy days ;-)

Cheers,

André.