[Tagging] Contents of Tagging Digest, Wiki Building - HangarVol 40, Issue 49

St Niklaas st.niklaas at live.nl
Wed Jan 23 13:44:34 GMT 2013

> From: tagging-request at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Tagging Digest, Vol 40, Issue 49
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:29:40 +0000
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:29:31 +0100
> From: Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] wiki building=hangar
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * english: aircrafts
>
> Is that not used for boats as well ? Note that the english "hangar"
> comes from the French "hangar". And the usage doesn't seem to be so
> different (the correct word for a warehouse in French is "entrep?t" or
> "magasin" for a small one).
>
> Pieren

Hi Pieren is right. The original word has spread around. In Dutch a hangar is initially for planes, but we do use the same words as magazijn for a storage room or even a shop. But a large magazine is also called pakhuis - warehouse and an entrepot, the last one is also used for a customs facility, to prevent the trouble of making clearance papers over and over again.I agree that the original use or design should get back into the tag of a building. Youre able to reuse a church for condos, but the outside still will be a recognisable church.Like Martin said english ; aircrafts, I expect that all the old, since 1500, trading countries are roughly using the same names or expressions for a storage facility. And as its has been spread all over the world by the leading trading countries.GreetzPs with all this confusion, it seems IMHO that the Wiki has to be corrected a bit.