[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Jan 24 08:52:31 GMT 2013

Hi.

I found that proposal, which was converted in RFC and finally accepted by
voting.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_generation_refinement#Single-site_facitilies

It's clearly written there's a spelling problem around substation vs sub
station.
In fact, power=substation seems to be better than power=sub_station since a
sub station is a sub marine facility.

Should we take care of that?

2013/1/22 Ole Nielsen <on-osm at xs4all.nl>

> On 22/01/2013 00:49, John Sturdy wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM, François Lacombe
> > <francois.lacombe at telecom-**bretagne.eu<francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu>>
> wrote:
> >> So we have the same opinion so far, that's great!
> >
> > And from me, to.
> >
> >> Just a question about the OSM sense of "deprecated".
> >> Why can't we directly display a big message on each "never use this"
> tag to
> >> inform mappers that they would not use this key/value any more?
> >> => May administrators could build a template?
> >
> > Because there is no one point at which that could be displayed, just
> > several different map editor programs, each maintained by different
> > people.
>
> Yes, there is unfortunately no simple 'delete' button for this. The tag
> should of course be removed completely from the Map Features page, the
> 'station' feature page should be flagged with a big warning that the tag is
> deprecated. Links to it from other feature pages should also be removed.
> That's the easy part.
> It will be necessary to create a ticket for each of the popular editors
> (JOSM, Potlatch2 etc) requesting "station" to be removed from the presets.
> This may take some time depending on the developers.
>
> It may also be a good idea to post a message to "talk" list (not everybody
> subscribes to the tagging list) and to some of the more popular fora
> (especially the German forum).
>

> > And also, there are several renderers (some with multiple stylesheets)
> > which can each have different rules about what to display and what (by
> > not having a rule to display it) to ignore.
>
> In this case it seems to be a minor problem as 'station' and 'sub_station'
> are rendered the same way in Mapnik and probably most other renderers as
> well. It will of course be a good idea to remove 'station' from the mapnik
> stylesheet as that would cause the 'wrong' substations to disappear from
> the map and in that way discourage mappers from using that old tag. But it
> may be difficult to convince the stylesheet maintainers to do that as long
> as the tag is still common in the database.
>
> Ole / polderrunner

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com