[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 22 19:29:34 GMT 2013

On 22/01/2013 00:49, John Sturdy wrote:
 > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM, François Lacombe
 > <francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:
 >> So we have the same opinion so far, that's great!
 >
 > And from me, to.
 >
 >> Just a question about the OSM sense of "deprecated".
 >> Why can't we directly display a big message on each "never use this"
tag to
 >> inform mappers that they would not use this key/value any more?
 >> => May administrators could build a template?
 >
 > Because there is no one point at which that could be displayed, just
 > several different map editor programs, each maintained by different
 > people.

Yes, there is unfortunately no simple 'delete' button for this. The tag
should of course be removed completely from the Map Features page, the
'station' feature page should be flagged with a big warning that the tag
is deprecated. Links to it from other feature pages should also be
removed. That's the easy part.
It will be necessary to create a ticket for each of the popular editors
(JOSM, Potlatch2 etc) requesting "station" to be removed from the
presets. This may take some time depending on the developers.

It may also be a good idea to post a message to "talk" list (not
everybody subscribes to the tagging list) and to some of the more
popular fora (especially the German forum).

 > And also, there are several renderers (some with multiple stylesheets)
 > which can each have different rules about what to display and what (by
 > not having a rule to display it) to ignore.

In this case it seems to be a minor problem as 'station' and
'sub_station' are rendered the same way in Mapnik and probably most
other renderers as well. It will of course be a good idea to remove
'station' from the mapnik stylesheet as that would cause the 'wrong'
substations to disappear from the map and in that way discourage mappers
from using that old tag. But it may be difficult to convince the
stylesheet maintainers to do that as long as the tag is still common in
the database.

Ole / polderrunner