[Tagging] Tunnels and bridges

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:06:18 GMT 2013

Hi!

I'm looking for some alternatives to map tunnels and bridges that
contain several ways. I'm not really happy with the proposed relation
[1]. Is there any other approach for this? I'm asking myself why don't
we simply map the outline of the bridge/tunnel (the latter may be more
difficult to obtain), tag it with something like structure=bridge (or
similar, maybe even building=bridge), bridge=<type> (if necessary) and
layer=x. Connect the ways running over the bridge to this structure,
use the same layer tag and you're set. It is after all a physical
object, so why don't we map it as such? I simply don't see any reason
for a relation here.

regards,
Martin

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Bridges_and_Tunnels