[Tagging] gross weight - conclusions & changes

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Jul 1 12:19:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 13:59 +0200, Colin Smale wrote:
> The UK Government seem to think an HGV starts at 3.5t GVW, not 7.5t.
> By those standards, hgv=no is not a correct transposition of the sign
> with a lorry+weight(7.5t) symbol. Nor is maxweight=7.5 (I think)
> because it only applies to goods vehicles - not buses/coaches for
> example (correct me if I'm wrong!)

You are correct, it only applies to goods vehicles.

7.5t is the common blanket weight restriction used in the UK,
Leicestershire has hundreds although not as well mapped as they should
be (holds head in shame), and certainly was the limit that can be driven
on a standard licence, issued before a date. Since 1997 it is only
3.5t.
I could still drive a 7.5t truck if I so wanted to.

Phil (trigpoint)