[Tagging] Observations on use of the diet: tag

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 1 17:00:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-28 14:36, fly wrote:
> On 26.06.2013 02:29, Murry McEntire wrote:
>
>> If tags are added to diet=*, I believe lactose_free is in common use
>> whereas lacto_free is not so much. Also consider that a product made
>> with lactose removed dairy would accurately be lactose_free but not
>> lacto_free. Lactose content, not dairy origin,  is the important tag for
>> those with lactose intolerance. Is Lactofree being a brand name any
>> reason to avoid likenesses (lacto_free) in OSM tags?
>
> First of all: There is a difference between lacto_free and lactose_free.
>
> The first is about milk in general where as the second one is only about
> the sugar of the milk.
>
> My conclusion is that we need both:
> 1. lacto_free is more on the same level as the vegetarian/vegan diets.
> 2. You find lactose free milk products (lactose_free=yes but lacto_free=no)
> 3. There are people who are intolerant against the lactic acid of
> certain animals but not against lactose.

Yes, maybe it is useful to have separate tags. But similar names should
be avoided, as they will get confused.
I suggest naming the tag "dairy_free" instead of "lacto_free".
That is much clearer as to what it is. In UK English, most people know
what a "dairy product" is, not many would know what "lacto" means.

> I did not find any brand name, so far.

"Lactofree" is a UK brand for lactose-free milk and cheese etc. So it
would be classed as "lactose_free=yes", but "lacto_free=no". Which is
just going to cause confusion, as above.

Craig