[Tagging] Open of discussion on "operational_status" (part of life cycle with disused/abandoned/demolished)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Jul 2 00:47:53 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It works as long as the primary function is available though somehow
> broken.

So how *should* we annotate an object, which we believe to be
a permanent part of the landscape,
but which needs some form of descriptive note?

Example: a restroom with a sign reading "Closed until July 2014 for
repairs",
or a highly decorative water fountain that's dry,
or a drinking water tap that works OK, but dribbles on your shoes,
or a gate that works just fine if you whack it just so.

We have a wonderful electronic map that can capture these shades of grey.
 My proposal is
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:operational_status
...to allowing one to make an advisory note about any object listing the
status, some text about the status, and a survey date.
I would use in for drinking fountains.

The Humanitarian team has struggled with this also:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/operational_status
They may come up with things like a central hospital, currently closed, but
expected to reopen.
They certainly don't want to erase the hospital from most maps with a
disused:amenity=hospital tag.