[Tagging] Observations on use of the diet: tag

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 19:00:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Please, tell me the difference between gluten_free=* and
> diet:gluten_free=* and document them in the wiki.

The difference is that one is the that was in higher usage than the other.

>> * The wiki reflected *actual usage* of the gluten_free tag, of which
>> there were over 2x (nearly 3x) more than there were diet:gluten_free,
>> until your mass automated edit.
>
> We are talking about 50 objects.

So are you saying you visited the 50 places, or are you saying that if
I have a scheme I prefer, then I should go ahead and "fix up" any
tagging I like?

That is not how this project works.

>> That means the wiki was accurate.
>
> No, as this pages should have never been created. As diet:gluten_free=*
> was approved over a year before the other pages where created. I did not
> find any discussion about these tags on this list nor any proposal. All
> I did was to move the pages to a proposal namespace and highlighted the
> approved tag to use.

The wiki should reflect usage. And until your automated edit-
gluten_free was in higher usage by nearly 3x.

>> Please revert your edit, and undo your wiki changes.
>
> I did just add one tag to the objects with the same meaning. Thought
> that is the way to silently move from one tag to another. I did not
> delete anything. What is your problem with diet:gluten_free ?

Did you not see my email when someone asked about "transitioning
tags"? I went into depth about that process.

It is not right to go around making automated edits. The fact it's a
small number is relevant only in that it didn't effect many people-
but I'm one of those people.

Sometimes we use bots when there is large scale consensus, or when
there is an obvious typo (if I had typed diet:gluten_freee, then that
might be a good reason to change things).

But this is not the same thing, and I'm asking you to either go ahead
and check the objects yourself, or please remove your change.

- Serge