[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - reference_point

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:26:14 UTC 2013

Le 03/07/2013 05:46, Felix Delattre a écrit :
> Dear community,
>
> please vote for this feature proposal:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/reference_point
>
> This is needed to get proper route-planning working in all Central
> American countries.
>
> Thank you for all the feedback given and special thanks to Brycenesbitt
> [1] for reviewing the English language and cleaning up the proposal to
> provide only concrete, understandable and necessary information.
>
> If you wish you can have a look into prior communication logs:
> Initial conversation:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2012-March/009613.html
> Request for comments:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-June/013791.html
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

Sorry, I add not followed the discussion in the past.

In my point of view, before creating a new key, we must see if no
available key is suitable.
It is easier to develop the use of existing, and well established, keys,
by adding a new value, than creating a new key for just one specific use.
Each time we create a new key, we must adapt the tools to take it in
account especially osm2psql must be adapted to create one column more
the the tables.
Creating a new key is heavier than creating a new value.

And there is an existing key that seems to be suitable, with a new value
: place=reference_point
The "place" key is already taken in account by a lot of tools, it is
already widely used.

And the object to be tagged as place=reference_point could be a church,
a gas station in a cross, a particular house, a tree...

I know several places in France where this kind of "natural" or
descriptive routing would apply, e.g. :
"Prendre la route après la pharmacie puis le chemin à droite à la Maison
Verte" (take the road after the pharmacy and then the path at right hand
at the Green House" in a village where I lived in Provence
The house was no more green for long, but white. And there is now no
more house but ruins. But we still say "La Maison Verte".
I would have tagged it with a "place" key, first as isolated_dwelling,
and latter as location, and in fact "place=reference_point" would fit...
--
FrViPofm