[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - reference_point

Felix Delattre maps at delattre.de
Wed Jul 3 16:03:58 UTC 2013

On 07/03/2013 01:26 AM, Vincent Pottier wrote:
> Le 03/07/2013 05:46, Felix Delattre a écrit :
>> Dear community,
>>
>> please vote for this feature proposal:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/reference_point
>>
>> This is needed to get proper route-planning working in all Central
>> American countries.
>>
>> Thank you for all the feedback given and special thanks to Brycenesbitt
>> [1] for reviewing the English language and cleaning up the proposal to
>> provide only concrete, understandable and necessary information.
>>
>> If you wish you can have a look into prior communication logs:
>> Initial conversation:
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2012-March/009613.html
>> Request for comments:
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-June/013791.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Felix
>>
> Sorry, I add not followed the discussion in the past.
>
> In my point of view, before creating a new key, we must see if no
> available key is suitable.
> It is easier to develop the use of existing, and well established,
> keys, by adding a new value, than creating a new key for just one
> specific use.
> Each time we create a new key, we must adapt the tools to take it in
> account especially osm2psql must be adapted to create one column more
> the the tables.
> Creating a new key is heavier than creating a new value.
>
> And there is an existing key that seems to be suitable, with a new
> value : place=reference_point
> The "place" key is already taken in account by a lot of tools, it is
> already widely used.
>
> And the object to be tagged as place=reference_point could be a
> church, a gas station in a cross, a particular house, a tree...
>
> I know several places in France where this kind of "natural" or
> descriptive routing would apply, e.g. :
> "Prendre la route après la pharmacie puis le chemin à droite à la
> Maison Verte" (take the road after the pharmacy and then the path at
> right hand at the Green House" in a village where I lived in Provence
> The house was no more green for long, but white. And there is now no
> more house but ruins. But we still say "La Maison Verte".
> I would have tagged it with a "place" key, first as isolated_dwelling,
> and latter as location, and in fact "place=reference_point" would fit...
> --
> FrViPofm

I understand your point. And I agree that it could live eventually
inside place=reference_point but I am not sure if this is a good solution:

Of course using an existing tag is far better than defining a new one.,
but reference points are really something very abstract and on a micro
level. The "place=*" tag seems to have a more descriptive propose for
bigger areas (as far as I can see on the wiki page).

Further I'm not sure if place=* should be used to mark reference points
that have no physical evidence (anymore). And using the more general
place=* tag we could be driven in some situations that would make sense
to use two place=* tags on the same object.

Thank you!
Felix