[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - image=http://example.com/image_license_page

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Jul 3 13:34:57 UTC 2013

On 02.07.2013 19:17, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de
> <mailto:osm at tobias-knerr.de>> wrote:
>
>     * I feel that it should be stated that *only* images under a free
>     license should be linked, i.e. images that offer the same freedoms as
>     OpenStreetMap data.
>
> The license of both images and the OSM database may evolve or change
> from time to time. I feel it is up to the agent using the image to determine
> compatibility. [...]

The license of the OSM database may change, but not arbitrarily - our
Contributor Terms limit the choice to licenses considered free and open
according to such definitions as http://opendefinition.org/okd/

My opinion is that we should subject images selected for the image tag
to the same constraints. But it seems we simply disagree here.

>     [...] Image description pages may not actually be
>     machine-readable. On the other had, some sites may indeed offer
>     machine-readable data, but through different means [...]
>
> As I understand it:
> The German historical map solves this by parsing the specific wikimedia
> commons format.
> If it does not recognize the format, it won't show the image.
>
> While this puts the burden on the display agent, the agent needs to do
> that anyway.  [...]

I'm not sure this fully addresses my point. Yes, for Wikimedia Commons
it makes sense. Yes, the display agent needs some intelligence in order
to obtain and validate license information.

But that intelligence may not involve an "index page" at all for some
image repositories, as each site works differently. For example, the
historical map supposedly also recognizes declarations in robots.txt. Or
there may be a repository out there that only accepts public domain
content and as such does not provide license information for each
individual image. Therefore, I would prefer a more abstract requirement
instead of specifically demanding an "index page".