[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - image=http://example.com/image_license_page

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Jul 3 18:06:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> But that intelligence may not involve an "index page" at all for some
> image repositories, as each site works differently. For example, the
> historical map supposedly also recognizes declarations in robots.txt. Or
> there may be a repository out there that only accepts public domain
> content and as such does not provide license information for each
> individual image. Therefore, I would prefer a more abstract requirement
> instead of specifically demanding an "index page".

The image tag is widely used today, in some sense this approval effort is
limited to codifying and standardizing the image= tag as it exists today.

The historical map solves the tricky license issue by accepting only a
subset of images tagged with image=.  I think that's a pretty good
"interim" solution, until some true OSM linked image host shows up and
starts taking over.