[Tagging] type for natural=tree (leaved <-> leafed)

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Jul 7 17:32:08 UTC 2013

On 07.07.2013 18:59, John Sturdy wrote:
> On further thought, I'd go for type=deciduous, rather than
> broad-lea[fv]ed.  Not quite the same thing (I think larches are
> deciduous but not broad-leaved) but I think it's the normal "technical"
> term (the others being "evergreen").

That would make the transition quite hard - the current data is based on
a different distinction and, as you say, the two are not
equivalent. Perhaps more importantly, broad-leaved vs. coniferous is the
obvious visual distinction and therefore more useful for rendering and
easier to identify without botanical knowledge (except in winter).

A separate tag (deciduous=yes/no?) would make more sense because the two
attributes are orthogonal.