[Tagging] Childcare Tag

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:42:08 UTC 2013

Am 10.07.2013 15:07, schrieb alyssa wright:
> On Jul 10, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/7/10 fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>:

> Again, thanks for all the discussion. I'm following most of it. ;) I think...

This is nothing unusual here,

> Could I attempt to articulate what I consider the major confusion in the existing kindergarten tag? Perhaps this is already known, but perhaps an explanation could inspire a graceful resolution.
>
> In the US, (and according to the Oxford dictionary Australia and Britain), kindergarten is legally defined for 5 and 6 year olds. There are cases where parents have attempted to enroll a child of below 5 into kindergarten and have been legally refused. Instead there are a number of facilities that accommodate children below the age of 5.
>
> For a working family, a child below 5 could be under the care of a preschool (an informal group not typically associated with a school though sometimes affiliated with a religious organization), childcare (sometimes affiliated with a person's place of employment), a nursery (typically for very young children), among others.
>
> The use of the tag kindergarten as the umbrella description for such places of care doesn't make sense in my own cultural context. It would be like looking for a temple of Jewish denomination under the tag bar, because there is wine during services. Why would I look for nursery under kindergarten when the two -- culturally and legally -- are unrelated?
>
> It is my understanding that kindergarten means something very different in other places of the world. How does OSM account for such cultural differences? Perhaps the childcare proposal should not try to replace kindergarten, but instead try to disassociate childcare from the kindergarten umbrella?
>
> But I am not sure I know enough about tags to propose something appropriate.

Ok, now we get closer. I did not know that it is that strict in the US
and 15 years ago at least in New England it was understood like in Europe.

Do not forget we use BE in OSM.
Actually kindergarden is German (Kindergarten) and literally translated
would be "garden of children" or "children's garden".

In Germany the local Authority must offer you a place in this facility
for 2-year old children until school (age of 6). We also have an
optional year of Pre-School instead of last year of "Kindergarten".

Everything before the age of 2 might fit under nursery.

We have also place which offer childcare for school children and youth
after school in the afternoon with a wide range from all kind of
activities to help with homework and other stuff.

Hope that makes it clearer
fly