[Tagging] foot=yes or bicycle=yes on track without other limitations?

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Wed Jul 10 16:39:57 UTC 2013

Hi,
some mappers think, they have to set these access tags. Potlatch and iD
have a select menue, which shout "hey, please select foot & bicycle are
allowed". But I think this is not good! It is better to tag signs:
bicycle=yes only if there is a "bicycle free" sign. Same with other signs.
So if we see the tags, we know which sign is there, and backwards.
It helps if there is something like this [1] included in the editors,
which create the right tags by means of sign!

  A major error is something like this: access=forestry (for sign
motor_vehicle=forestry)

For the possibility to use the way by foot or bicycle, better tag
walking=yes or cycling=yes or something like that.

[1] http://osmtools.de/traffic_signs

Regards,
Masi