[Tagging] foot=yes or bicycle=yes on track without other limitations?

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Wed Jul 10 20:00:25 UTC 2013

Am 10.07.2013, 20:43 Uhr, schrieb SomeoneElse
<lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>:

> Masi Master wrote:
>> Hi,
>> some mappers think, they have to set these access tags. Potlatch and iD
>> have a select menue, which shout "hey, please select foot & bicycle are
>> allowed". But I think this is not good! It is better to tag signs:
>> bicycle=yes only if there is a "bicycle free" sign. Same with other
>> signs. So if we see the tags, we know which sign is there, and
>> backwards.
>
> is that "bicycle=designated" or something else?

Which? bicycle=designated stands for the blue bicycle sign. This is placed
normaly at ways which are especially for bicycles. In the editors the
"allowed" is the same as *=yes.

> Does that explicit "here is a route that XXX are
> allowed/encouraged/required in some circumstances to use" signage occur
> anywhere outside of Germany?

A signed bicyle route should be tagged by a relation with type=route. The
sign "bicycle free" is i.E. used here in Germany on some
exclusive-footways (blue footway sign), or at some pedestrian zone. Only
on ways, which are normaly not allowed by default. Or for restriction: no
vehicles except bicycles.

bicycle=yes is also used for ways which marked by a bicycle symbol on the
asphalt, and for cycleways and bikelanes without the blue sign.

>> For the possibility to use the way by foot or bicycle, better tag
>> walking=yes or cycling=yes or something like that.
>>

> Not hugely popular, currently:
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/walking=yes

Right! But we can change it... I think it is wrong to merge
access-restriction and the possibility of use into one tag. We can free
our mind from "we did it in past, we will do it in future" :)

Masi