[Tagging] foot=yes or bicycle=yes on track without other limitations?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Jul 11 02:42:31 UTC 2013

On 10.07.2013 18:39, Masi Master wrote:
> some mappers think, they have to set these access tags. Potlatch and iD have
> a select menue, which shout "hey, please select foot & bicycle are allowed".
> But I think this is not good!

That's also my impression. Potlatch users often set lots of unnecessary tags
just because they are selectable. It's like a form which you try to fill out
completely.

> It is better to tag signs: bicycle=yes only if
> there is a "bicycle free" sign. Same with other signs. So if we see the
> tags, we know which sign is there, and backwards.

Yes, we should tag what we see, not the restrictions implied by laws. Those
should be defined via Wiki pages like:
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

I don't see a benefit of mapping the traffic signs themselves, though. It
only matters which restrictions apply to which ways, not how the signs look
like or where they are located.

> It helps if there is something like this [1] included in the editors, which
> create the right tags by means of sign!

At least it would be fine if editors would mark (and not upload) default
values, dependent on country. But I'm afraid that country dependent
behaviour is not going to be implemented in the near future.

> For the possibility to use the way by foot or bicycle, better tag
> walking=yes or cycling=yes or something like that.

mtb:scale=*
sac_scale=*
uiaa_scale=*
smoothness=*