[Tagging] Double and misfitting house numbers

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 14:53:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Tobias <cra_klinrain at gmx.de> wrote:

> 1. Double house numbers: I want to tag the house number 101 of a shop.
> The building in which the romms of the shop are located has the house
> numbers 97,99,101,103,105,107,109. The house numbers of the building are
> either tagged on the entrances each or on the building-way (here:
> addr:housenumber=97,99,101,103,105,107,109) since the association to the
> entrances is unknown.

> Because there are several shops with the same house number, there would
> be several nodes or ways with the same house number. And only one is
> concerning the building/entrance.

There are things I'm not sure I understand here.

The example you show is a shopping mall, with the address tagged on
the building as a set of housenumbers (as you say, 97, 99, 101...)

But  then you say all the stores share the same housenumber.

I'm not sure I understand that, so maybe you an clarify it for me.

Are you saying that all the stores are 97, 99, 101, 103, etc. or that
one store, say the Garde bakery, is at 99, and the Schäfer's Backshop
(you people sure do love your bakeries!) is at 103?

If the stores have a housenumber- and you know that housenumber,
include it in the store.

If they're shared amongst all the stores equally, ie they all have 97,
99, 101, etc. then I'd tag the building.

> For those who would like to have an example from the real world - here
> it is:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.101067&lon=8.787526&zoom=18&layers=M

Very useful to have an example...

> Another thing is that renderers are double-rendering those house numbers
> (which is better than the opposite) and since some rooms are added to a
> building (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr), house numbers
> are there not only twice.

If each shop had one housenumber, then I'd remove it from the building
as I added it onto the shop.

> The shop has the
> address 14-16 which means that none of the building addresses is fitting
> the shop address. Hence I would have to add addr:housenumber=14-16 which
> is like above in a way a double housenumber-tagging.

It's okay if both objects have the address tag, because both are correct.

The building I live in is mixed use. Some of the building contains
retail shops, and then there's a large apartment complex (which is
where I live).

I've tagged the shops with the same addr:housenumber as the apartment
complex, because that's the truth.

Google is confused about this and thinks I live in a store, but
Nominatim simply asks if I mean the apartment complex, or the
shops.[1]

- Serge

[1] I'm anthropomorphizing a bit here. What really happens is that
Google returns a single value for the address, while Nomatim returns
multiple values.