[Tagging] Are addresses features or attributes?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Jul 22 04:53:47 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> I'm in favor of keeping addresses on vacant lots. Vacant lots often get
> rebuilt....

It would be nice if we had an option to retain the address node. JOSM is
> easier, just delete the unwanted tags. I haven't figured out an easy method
> of converting a polygon to a node when the building is raised.

To covert: "copy" the building's way, and "paste tags" onto the new node.

----------------------
Note: In the USA at least: vacant lots have addresses.  Since we can't
depend on a mapper coming back to notice new
construction in a timely manner, the address should stay.  Addresses can be
seen as attributes of a parcel, where the owner gets to further refine (by
making an entrance and/or a postbox).

Addresses could ALSO be viewed as attributes of, or at least associated
with, ways:

*addr:housenumber=5123123*
*addr:street=<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/100/<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/100/history>
>*

Which would be a lot more tightly coupled than:

*addr:housenumber=5123123*
*addr:street=Kempson Avenue*