[Tagging] Are addresses features or attributes?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jul 22 02:21:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:

> When a shop changes, it is true that the address is more permanent. Just
> like the coordinates are more permanent. But we won't necessarily keep them
> in OSM if there's no shop anymore. As this is unusual, let's habe a look at
> doctors instead. A doctor may have his practice in the 3rd floor, door
> number 27. When he retires, he (or someone else) may use that apartment for
> living. It's no POI anymore. It just becomes an ordinary flat like the 50
> other flats in the house. Keeping the naked address with floor and door
> number would be completely useless. Of course, we wish to keep the address
> of the whole house, but there we are at attibutes again.

I'm in favor of keeping addresses on vacant lots. Vacant lots often get
rebuilt. In the US cities I've lived, the address remains the same. Of
course there are exceptions, for example, if the original building was on a
corner lot and the new building had it main entranced moved to the other
street, the building would most likely get a new number.

Right now we do have a little problem retaining address information on
nodes. If an amenity included the address (which it should IMHO) and the
amenity is no longer valid, it is too easy to just to delete the entire
node. The delete action requires adding back in the perfectly valid address
information that was deleted when a new poi is entered. It would be nice if
we had an option to retain the address node. JOSM is easier, just delete
the unwanted tags. I haven't figured out an easy method of converting a
polygon to a node when the building is raised.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch