[Tagging] pastry and confectionery

Murry McEntire murry.mcentire at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 15:32:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> This sounds like a reasonable compromise. Incidentally, I am an American
> and would not classify pastries and confections as the same thing, although
> one shop will sometimes sell both. I would tend to think of a "bread shop"
> as a shop that sells bread, and perhaps other baked goods, but does not do
> its own baking. Typically, these shops sell goods originating from a single
> industrial-scale bakery, and which have been returned by grocery stores
> after they did not sell, but which are still in good condition.

Some tweaks to my proposal.

Changing shop=bread to shop=bread_bakery should help with those who first
think of an outlet store when seeing shop=bread and those that are
reluctant to disassociate shops that sell bread from the term bakery. I'm
also thinking the wiki pages for shop=bakery  and shop=bread_bakery should
have an explanation of the importance and special status that shops that
sell the bread used as a staple have in continental Europe and some other
regions of the world including some of the non-English terms used for them,
e.g. backerei, boulangerie for a bread bakery.

Addition of the sub tag bakery_outlet=yes which would be defined as a shop
which may sell fresh products but specializes in the sale of bakery
products nearing their freshness  expiration. Sometimes called a "day-old"
bakery shop.
It is not uncommon in America for people wanting to save money to search
for such stores since prices can be half that of grocery stores or other
retail bakeries.  I suspect such stores exist in other countries that have
large commercial bakeries. The tag could be used with either bakery or
bread_bakery, some I've been in do 90% of their business in bread (so
shop=bread_bakery) and others do 50% bread and 50% donuts, cakes, cookies
and pastries (so shop=bakery).

I've not heard any one call change a bad idea or strenuously object to my
latter proposal. I believe the next step for such changes to make it to the
official wiki pages is to make a proposal page and go through a vote;
(someone let me know if this is wrong). I'll start working on such a page
and mock-ups of the changes to the current features page, the replacement
shop=bakery and shop=confectionery pages, and the new shop=bread_bakery,
bakery sub tags, and confectionery sub tags pages. Any pages I've
overlooked? Should be fun! (I have not really done any wiki editing or work
before.)

It seems it may be useful to have bakery sub tags for regulatory reasons or
entrenched custom for the European region where a shop can only have a
specific name if a certified professional is employed or the goods must be
created on premises. I would need help with those and would expect them to
be explained and justified in this email thread or the discussion page of
the proposal when it is up.

Murry