[Tagging] Tagging camp sites within campground

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Jun 17 17:54:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> In the case I am looking at now there is no street number for the
> campground. At least there is no sign indicating one nor have I seen a
> street number on an any map. So I guess that addr:housenumber might work.
> But I imagine that there are campgrounds that actually have an street
> number assigned to the whole complex, so overloading addr:housenumber would
> not work.

Common cases for campgrounds include:
1) The roads have names, but they exist only in a database somewhere, the
actual roads are not signed or known by those names.
2) The roads developed over time and were never planned or named, and may
in fact shift based on season.
3) All the roads are collectively known by some name (e.g. "South fork
campground loop").
4) The sites are walk-in, far from a road.

---
I think the EMS/911 use case is just as good as the mailman analogy.
If you wrote what you mapped on a slip of paper describing an emergency,
could the EMS crew get there without confusion?

I think rendering is the least important consideration: if there is
sufficient mapping of any particular style, the rendering will follow
starting with the maps most oriented towards camping (open cycle map, for
example, might be an early adopter).

--
But that said addr:housenumber has a certain elegance.  You can imagine
entering that into a generic OSM routing engine and getting a sensible

You're not really overloading addr:housenumber in the case the campground
has postal address.  The camp itself exists on a road.  The camp sites then
relate to the camp:

name=Camp Hypothetical
addr:housenumber=153
addr:street=Hypothetical Street
website=*

addr:housenumber=153
addr:street=Camp Hypothetical
group_only=yes

Thus all campgrounds can use *addr:housenumber* for the space number.