[Tagging] Reviving "pitlatrine" proposal from 2011

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 20 20:11:44 UTC 2013

On 20.06.2013 21:39, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Brian Wolford
> <worldwidewolford at gmail.com <mailto:worldwidewolford at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't see the relevant difference, then, between an onsite compost
>     toilet and a pit, to the toilet experience.They are both an open
>     drop where you can see the waste.
>

> Perhaps the user experience difference is better captured in a
> out-of-osm voting system about how "stinky" a toilet is.
>
> We seem to agree that "water flush toilet" is a clear category.  But
> "pits" get murkier: chemical vs. no, vault vs. unlined pit,
> composting vs. pile of waste, portable bucket vs. permanent.

In Asia it is quite common to flush manually (e.g. you have a water
filled bucket next to toilet and a small bowl to get the water in the
toilet.

> A pit has a pile of human waste at the bottom.
> A chemical toilet drops the same waste into a liquid chemical.
> A composting toilet the majority of the waste is undergoing composition.
>  These all smell /completely/ different.
> http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/47951/Won-t-That-Stink-Living-in-a-Green-Home-with-a-Composting-Toilet

Yeah, quite a big difference ! Myself, has no problem with the first and
third solution but I try to avoid the second one and rather find my own
place and use a shovel.

fly