[Tagging] How to tag apartments in a building that is multiuse

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:11:52 UTC 2013

2013/6/26 fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>

> > Landuse is a different issue. For example, my condo is in a commercial
> > landuse area. Because the condo building includes two levels on
> > commercial space, having residential units within the commercial landuse
> > is acceptable. In fact, it is highly desired by city planners. It also
> > means that I live in an area that has high allowable noise limits since
> > it is zoned commercial.
>
> Does not work for me !
>
> I have several areas of mixed use of industrial, commercial and
> residential. Often living is allowed but I know streets where it is only
> allowed on one side or even changing from house number to house number.

Let's keep in mind that landuse in OSM is actual landuse, while zoning is
permitted land use. Another reason for misconceptions might be scale: usage
restrictions/ settings are typically created on different scales (level of
detail). IMHO in OSM we should try to get this as atomic as possible,
because you can always create automatically a generalized version of mixed
landuses, but you won't get the details from a generalized version. Public
planning / registers (like the cadaster) usually (at least in Germany where
I am aware of the details, but I guess this is also in other countries not
too different, here: DE:"Liegenschaftsregister") go down even to a sub-site
level, while the more known plans like the DE:"Baunutzungsplan" are done in
a more generalized manner.

cheers,
Martin