[Tagging] Public transport zones

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 09:21:06 UTC 2013

2013/3/3 Jo <winfixit at gmail.com>:
> I would simply use zone=1, zone=2 or zone=1;2 on them. That's how it's done
> in Belgium and The Netherlands. Although we don't have overlapping zones.

I would use something more specific, "zone" is way too generic and can
mean everything or nothing (e.g. maxspeed zones, low emission zones,
building zoning, ...). Look at actual tags there is a variant of zone
used more often:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=zone
"naptan:PlusbusZoneRef"

If you would prefer to use something generic referring to public
transport it would be better to use something like
public_transport_zone=* instead of just "zone" (but I'd prefer the
approach proposed by Steve and the most used according to tag info: an
explicit reference to the actual public transport provider / system /
entity that created the zones in the key).

cheers,
Martin