[Tagging] Tag for fab_lab with the key workshop

Johann Colombano-Rut johann at gotronic.fr
Wed Mar 13 15:33:06 UTC 2013

Wed, 13 Mar 2013 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> :

>also have a look here:

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/3680/how-can-i-add-a-hackspace-to-the-map

Thanks for the link.

Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:09:31 -0700 Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> :

>I like the idea, but think that we need to pick the best choice for
tagging hackerspaces and fab labs. Rather than workshop, I'd go with
leisure=hackerspace since there is already 143 (taginfo) nodes tagged.

>Workshop has lite usage.  Values of car, bakery, motorcycle, Plapa_site,
etc.

>An icon for rendering would be nice.

You're right in that it is already quite used for hackerspaces...  but
leisure seems somewhat inappropriate to me and a bunch of other persons I
asked : some insist on the differences between a fablab and a hackerspace,
the former being machine-oriented (the goal is the fabrication) and the
latter community-oriented (goal is social collaboration).
So the workshop=fab_lab key would really be a better fit...

I'm not sure of the rules so I ask : can't we use both for fablabs ?
leisure=hackerspace and workshop=fab_lab ? It would be consistent with the
actual tags (by using both) and add a possibility of distinction between
the two (by using one or the other). A win-win I believe, except for the
fact that it would require two tags.

Cheers,
Johann.