[Tagging] Tag for fab_lab with the key workshop

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Mar 13 17:52:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Johann Colombano-Rut <johann at gotronic.fr>wrote:

> You're right in that it is already quite used for hackerspaces...  but
> leisure seems somewhat inappropriate to me and a bunch of other persons I
> asked : some insist on the differences between a fablab and a hackerspace,
> the former being machine-oriented (the goal is the fabrication) and the
> latter community-oriented (goal is social collaboration).
> So the workshop=fab_lab key would really be a better fit...

If you want to use workshop, then it needs to be defined. Hackerspace and
Fab Lab are just two small examples of workshops. We typically think of a
workshop as a place to build something, but the term is also used in the
arts, education, and business. I even have a friend with a small building
behind his house that he discribes as his workshop. Taggers may need
help deciding which tag to use.   Look at existing tags such as leisure,
craft, and amenity to see how they have provided examples of the various
values within the tag.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch