[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 16:01:28 UTC 2013

2013/3/14 Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>

> 2013/3/14 Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com>
>
>>  I suppose the main downside is that it requires a relation. I've not
>> mapped give-way relationships myself, but it would be good to map them, and
>> the node method seems simpler and would involve less database bloat than
>> adding a relation at, basically, every junction. I would think the node
>> method would be sufficient for most junctions, while the relation method
>> could be available for any more complex cases. As far as I can see, with
>> the node method, the important thing to remember is that the give-way node
>> needs to be closer to the intersection node to which it applies than to any
>> other intersection node on the way, which doesn't seem too difficult to
>> achieve. It should perhaps be made clear in the wiki that there is not
>> necessarily an actual Give Way sign: it can be used to represent a give-way
>> line as well.
>>

> I see your point, and I've tagged a few highway=give_way and highway=stop
> nodes myself. However, since we are already mapping turn restrictions as
> relations, I think it wouldn't be so absurd to map give-way's and stops
> that way too. Granted, there are much more stops than the turn restrictions
> that need to be described explicitly.
>
> I think the two ways may coexist: the node method being easier on the
> mappers, and the relation being easier on the consumers.

Maybe I should have a look at the proposal first, but wouldn't you have
give_way or stop node anyway? If it is near to an intersection, why would
it be hard on consumers to deal with it?

I think you'd only need a relation if the directionality isn't what one
would normally expect, i.e. you enter the street from the intersection and
then you are supposed to give way, maybe to a cycleway or a crossing.
Although even that is normal. Because traffic that makes a turn has to
yield for traffic traveling straight on.

Jo