[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Mar 14 21:38:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, a silly question : where does it help to put so much efforts in
> tagging a give-way traffic sign ? It's not for routing. If it is for
> rendering, a simple node is enough. So why a relation ? for blind
> drivers ?

Not quite.  Blind pedestrians would benefit from knowing that traffic might
not necessarily stop if they're looking left for the traffic they're
merging into instead of right for a pedestrian determined to leave the
sidewalk.  I'm also going to have to disagree on the routing aspect.
 Knowing *which way* is supposed to give way (or stop) can be weighted when
making routing decisions (since in terms of free flow, from greatest flow
to least, you have no control, toll plaza that takes ETC (Oklahoma
PIKEPASS, Kansas KPASS, etc), railroad crossing, give way, traffic signals,
stop, coins-only cash toll plaza, cash toll plaza).