[Tagging] Proposed relation give_way

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 00:34:20 UTC 2013

2013/3/14 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net
>
> > That's fiendishly clever given that OpenStreetMap didn't exist nine years
> > ago...
>
> ^^
> But, a silly question : where does it help to put so much efforts in
> tagging a give-way traffic sign ? It's not for routing. If it is for
> rendering, a simple node is enough. So why a relation ? for blind
> drivers ?

It is for navigation. Imagine a corner right before an intersection: the
navigator would warn you that you'll have to give way or to stop, and
you'll prepare the corner accordingly. Additionally, if you're in an
unknown city you're probably already busy trying to follow the other cars'
traffic, the navigation hints and other stuff, so you might miss some road
signs; if we mark it, the navigator could warn you about a stop. It's a
great safety measure.

Ciao,

Simone